4/02/2015

Why Vintage? It Takes You To A Place

Sometimes I wonder, why do collectors collect? What drives a person to start a collection of objects?  What makes you go for that particular vintage dress by Chanel, that certain piece of vintage jewelry, an amazing Elvis album, or the little figurine that will sit in a place of prominence in your home? Is it a memory, a comfort, your happy place?


After a bit of thinking...I think it boils down to a pretty simple and short theory. It takes you to a place...a place you want to go.  Part of the fun in my endless treasure hunt for vintage and antique finds is that seeing or owning certain items evokes a memory of a place in time for me ... maybe it ties to a stop in my own life, a fabulous period in history, having admired the object at a friend or relative's home, or perhaps it looks like it could have been a prop from a classic movie.  Irregardless, seeing that item ... it takes me to a place I like.

Of course the other answer to this question can be even more simple... you just love it! Seeing that little figurine or piece of art can make you smile each time you come across it at your home or office. Wearing Chanel can make you feel like the goddess of the universe (as it should!). Maybe the object reflects on your values or expresses who you are. One of my favorite eras to collect from is the 1930's and 1940's ... I find that there is a certain innocence to this time in early America ... a fiber of what American life was built on ... families, strong values, quality, a great respect for even the most mundane essentials. If it's clothing, a book, or accessory from the era... the quality in workmanship always seems top notch ... built to last just like this period in time.

So just a few thoughts to kickoff the blog... there will be more soon. You're invited to stop by my Etsy shop to see what's new or old and add to your own collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts? question? comment?